Turmeric is the super spice that makes this golden milk recipe pop with color and health-promoting properties. The active ingredient in turmeric known as curcumin has given this spice superfood recognition.
Let's dive into the health benefits of turmeric and golden milk and how to make golden milk.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a plant that is commonly used in Indian cuisine due to its intense flavor and medicinal benefits. It is often used to add color to foods such as rice and is also used as a natural dye due to its intense yellow color. Turmeric is an ancient Indian staple used in Ayurvedic medicine and is often used for digestive issues, and inflammation.
Studies have shown that turmeric and its active ingredient curcumin, can be used for a wide range of health issues, including heart disease, joint pain, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, depression, and cancer. This is because of the anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, circulatory, and anti-aging health benefits of curcumin found in turmeric.
Regularly incorporating turmeric into your diet can be a great way to improve your overall health and longevity and reduce inflammation in the body.
What is golden milk?
Golden milk is a superfood beverage that has been consumed as a tonic in Indian cultures for centuries. It is a drink made with turmeric, a superfood. It also contains warming spices such as cinnamon and ginger root and is a delicious way to add more healing superfoods to your diet. Golden milk is also known as a turmeric latte. It has a cozy, warming flavor and is usually served hot with a dash of sweetener and coconut milk.
Health Benefits of Golden Milk
Turmeric - The main superfood in golden milk, turmeric has been found to have a wide range of health benefits. Studies have shown that turmeric can have anti-inflammatory effects, can be used as an antioxidant, and can help prevent diseases such as cancer.
Cinnamon - Cinnamon has been found to have antioxidant properties and can be used as a natural anti-inflammatory agent. It has also been found to reduce blood sugar levels, which can be particularly beneficial for those with diabetes.
Ginger - Ginger root is another medicinal plant used to soothe an upset stomach and aid digestion. It has also been used to reduce nausea and morning sickness and motion sickness. Ginger root has been shown to improve circulation and have a warming effect on the body.
Coconut milk - Good quality coconut milk not only adds creaminess to the golden milk but also helps turmeric to be absorbed by the body and actually benefit from its medicinal properties. This is because turmeric is fat-soluble and the fat in coconut milk binds to the turmeric making it more bioavailable.
Here is what you will need to make vegan golden milk from scratch, it is a simple recipe, and hard to go wrong so feel free to adjust it to your liking.
- vegan milk - we use coconut milk, vegan creamer, and coconut cream, but this can easily be simplified and made with some oat milk and coconut cream or whatever vegan milk you have at home, just keep in mind high-fat vegan milk is ideal because this is what binds to the turmeric so that you can benefit from its medicinal properties.
- turmeric powder - this is the ingredient that makes golden milk all that it is.
- ginger root powder - ginger root pairs well with turmeric, adding spice, and health-promoting properties and increasing the absorbancy of turmeric.
- cinnamon powder - enhances the flavor of turmeric milk and brings its own health benefits to the table.
- sweetener of choice - the sweetener helps balance out some of the spice, making it more palatable, in this recipe we used date sweetener, but this can easily be swapped out for agave syrup, maple syrup, or your sweetener of choice.
- vanilla extract - enhances the flavor adding an aromatic marshmallow-like taste.
- salt - this brings out the flavor but is totally optional ingredient.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Making golden milk is really easy and quick to do, and is a great way to add health-promoting superfoods to your diet.
Here is how to make vegan golden turmeric milk:
In a small pot on medium heat (or milk frother) add the vegan milk and cream.
Add the turmeric powder, ginger root powder, cinnamon powder, salt, vanilla extract, and sweetener to the milk and whisk until all the ingredients are well combined.
Simmer the mixture for about five minutes until it has a nice flavor. Adjust the spices and sweetener to your desired taste.
Enjoy warm with a dash of cinnamon atop.
You can drink this medicinal beverage as a hot drink on cold winter days or even drink it as a cold drink on warm days.
Additions + Substitutions
You can flavor golden milk any way you like really. You can use different types of milk, and sweeteners to flavor it and add additional spices.
- spices - other spices that are sometimes added to golden milk are cardamon, clove, and black pepper, all of which add their own flavor profile and benefits
- sweetener - you can sweeten this milk recipe any way you like or with whatever you have on hand
- vegan milk - the milk and cream in this recipe can be switched out for other vegan milk and creamer, we recommend using milk alternatives with high-fat content, we do not recommend using cows milk in this recipe because cows milk has been shown to have an inflammatory effect on the body, read more about why to switch to alternative milk. Alternatively, substitute all the liquids (cream included) for a can of coconut milk.
Golden milk is made with turmeric, and although there are no sedative properties found in turmeric, studies have shown anti-anxiety and antidepressant qualities that can potentially relax the body. Turmeric is most popularly consumed to help reduce inflammation and aid digestion, promoting healing and soothing the body.
Golden milk can be enjoyed any time of the day, but some prefer to drink the warming beverage an hour before bed to help soothe the body, aid digestion, and reduce inflammation.
Golden milk or turmeric milk has been part of Indian culture for centuries. It is a bright golden warming beverage made with turmeric and supporting spices with medicinal properties.
The main spice is turmeric which is often used to help soothe an upset stomach, but in food, form is considered safe to consume daily.
Vegan Golden Milk Recipe
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegan creamer
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp date paste or sugar
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger root powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches salt to taste
- In a small pot on medium heat (or milk frother) add the vegan milk and cream.
- Add the turmeric powder, ginger root powder, cinnamon powder, salt, vanilla extract, and sweetener to the milk and whisk until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Simmer the mixture for about five minutes until it has a nice flavor. Adjust the spices and sweetener to your desired taste.
- Enjoy warm with a dash of cinnamon atop.
- You can drink golden milk as a hot drink on cold winter days or even drink it as a cold drink on warm days.
- Optional: top with cinnamon.
- Substitute the liquids and cream for a can of coconut milk.
Leave a Reply