This smoked tempeh recipe is seasoned and marinated with smoked paprika and supporting herbs to create a smoky, savory, and filling vegan sandwich. This tempeh sandwich is a good source of plant-based protein all thanks to the beloved tempeh.
Tempeh is a traditional soy-based protein food commonly consumed in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Japan. Just like tofu, it is made from soybeans; but instead of being made from soybean curds, tempeh is made from whole fermented soybeans.
Tempeh has a firm and meaty texture, which means that it can be cooked in a variety of ways. It can be steamed, baked, pan-fried, or cooked in soups. It also has a stronger, more earthy flavor than tofu. Cooking tempeh is really simple to do and compared to tofu, requires less prep work.
Tempeh is a good source of protein, iron, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium. Learn more about vegan protein and nutrients here.
This sandwich was inspired to mock the flavor of a BLT, but in a plant-based fashion, and we of course added more veggies and smothered it in sauce and creamy avocado.
Here is what you will need to make this smoked tempeh recipe:
- tamari (or substitute soy sauce)
- coconut aminos
- apple cider vinegar
- smoked paprika powder
- ground cumin
- onion powder
- salt + pepper
See the recipe card for quantities.
Cut the tempeh into quarter-inch slices. You want the slices just thick enough so it doesn't break apart when preparing.
Mix together the marinade ingredients: tamari, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, cumin, onion, salt, and black pepper.
In a container, preferably with a tight-fitting lid add the tempeh and marinade. Toss the tempeh until it is well coated and let marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes or overnight.
In a large pan, cook the tempeh strips on medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes on both sides, until browned.
Put this smoky tempeh recipe to add protein to your vegan sandwich, grain bowl, salad, tacos, or whatever your heart desires!
Smoky Tempeh Vegan Sandwich
- 1 tempeh block
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- coconut oil to sauté
- Cut tempeh into quarter-inch slices.
- Mix together the marinade ingredients: tamari, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, cumin, onion, salt, black pepper.
- In a container preferably with a tight-fitting lid toss the tempeh in the marinade. Then marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes or overnight.
- Cook tempeh for about 3-5 minutes on both sides, until browned.
VEGAN SANDWICH ASSEMBLY
- gf bread (or any bread you prefer), 3-4 smoked tempeh slices per sandwich, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, spread (like b.sauce or hummus), mustard, vegan mayo